Hold On To Yourself
How To Stay Cool in Hot Conversations
By Judy Zehr and Julia Menard
You no longer feel understood, you get upset and a struggle begins. You are not alone! You are simply experiencing the tendency to lose our cool when conversations get hot. Hold On To Yourself offers a simple explanation to the science behind this universal experience and provides easy to use tools to help you stay connected to yourself and calm when communication gets rough.
Who is this book for?
This book is essential for all of us. Why? We all have similar reactions to stress and conflict. It’s neurobiological. So if you are in any relationships, or are interested in improving your communication and staying in balance during times of conflict or stress, this book is for you.
In this book you will:
- Build skills that will help you in all of your difficult conversations
- Understand how and why conversations can get “hot” in the first place
- Learn how your neurobiology impacts you in conflict
- Discover your stress “set point” and what you can do to change it
- Practice mindfulness and other tools to help you stay cool in conflict
- Heal your personal “schemas” or old wounds that may be tripping you up in difficult conversations
- Learn how to repair and move on from conversations gone wrong
What people are saying:
In their important new book, Judy Zehr and Julia Menard introduce emerging scientific insights into the emotional and spiritual challenges of conflict. More importantly, they provide readers with a wide range of highly practical exercises to help them better deal with these personal challenges.
– CRAIG RUNDE, coauthor Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader
Through their new book, Julia Menard and Judy Zehr have made the neuroscience of conflict understandable and accessible to all, as well as providing valuable tools for shifting unhelpful patterns and behaviors during the most challenging of conversations. For anyone that finds themselves involved in heated conflict, this book offers effective insight into turning the temperature down.
– PETE SPERLING, FMC Certified Family Relations Mediator
The title of this book by Judy Zehr and Julia Menard says it all “Hold On To Yourself” – as it is the key to supporting both yourself and others during times of conflict and stress. This book is filled with the art, heart and science of how to thrive during times of stress and conflict. This book helps you create a win-win during conflict and beyond.
– LYNDA MONK, MSW, RSW, CPCC, Coach, Speaker & Founder of Creative Wellness
About the authors:
Julia Menard has helped thousands of individuals and teams engage in conflict productively. She is a skilled mediator, coach and trainer who specializes in conflict resolution and difficult conversations. Julia has been practicing for over 20 years and is a key thought leader in her field. Julia is a mother, dog-lover and lives in the beautiful province of British Columbia.
Judy Zehr is an award-winning writer and mental health expert with over 30 years of experience helping individuals, couples and families learn tools to create more balance and joy in their lives. Judy has four grown kids and loves to be in the natural environment of her beautiful state of Oregon.